SKIP IT: Don't Check Your Brains At The Door by Josh McDowell

5 HIGHEST - 1 LOWEST STARS: 1 Stars

READ IT OR SKIP IT? SKIP IT

WHO MIGHT LIKE/HATE THIS BOOK?
Any thinking Christian will not like this book. It is illogical and silly. Certainly too foolish for adults and too complex and confusing for children.

BOOK REVIEW:
I hated this book - its brains certainly were checked at the door and left behind! It was very stupid right from the start. While trying to be clever and cute, it fails. Instead, a book written for children, it is stupid and out of place, with chapters like: "The Luke Skywalker God" and "The Vending Machine God" and "Lily-White Jesus" and "Plastic Jesus" and "The Bible and Swiss Cheese" and " Dr. Luke and the Case of the Disappearing Politarch" I mean, WHAT???

This book was downright painful and I can't imagine any child enjoying it. Much less learning much from it. They would need an adult to decypher the code. Example of terrible "teaching":

Luke Skywalker, having just escaped from the Sand People, stands in the spartan dwelling of Obi-Wan Kenobi on the planet of Tatooine. Luke has just learned that Obi-Wan was a Jedi Knight who had fought in the Clone Wars with Luke’s father. Obi-Wan gives him a lightsaber that once belonged to Luke’s father and, in the course of the conversation, mentions “the Force.” “The Force?” Luke says. Obi-Wan responds, “Well, the Force is what gives the Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”1 That concept of the Force, which occurs throughout the immensely popular Star Wars movies, has a familiar ring to it. That is because “the Force” is what many people imagine God to be. They picture God as a faceless, formless “energy,” an impersonal “force,” that mysteriously surrounds and guides the universe. But that’s a myth. Oh, God does surround and guide the universe. He is present everywhere. He is Spirit. But He is not some mysterious “force,” not some elusive “energy” that’s just “out there somewhere.” He is not a “thing,” an “it.” The astounding thing about God is that He is a personal God. “I love those who love me,” He says, “and those who seek me find me” (Proverbs 8:17). Notice the personal pronouns God uses to refer to Himself: “I . . . me . . . me . . . me.” Does that sound like some “cosmic energy?”
Josh McDowell &#38. Don’t Check Your Brains at the Door (Kindle Locations 246-261). Thomas Nelson.

The emphasis is on: "The astounding thing about God is that He is a personal God." The book goes no deeper than this. Very shallow.

Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher Thomas Nelson for this review. I am giving my honest review, as positive reviews are not required

No comments:

Post a Comment