SKIP IT: Twelve Unlikely Heroes by John MacArthur

Twelve Unlikely Heroes by John MacArthur gives a short biography of 12 biblical characters: Enoch, Joseph, Miriam (Moses' sister), Gideon and Samson, Jonathan (Saul's son and David's best friend), Jonah, Esther, John the Baptist, James the brother of Jesus, and Mark and Onesimus. Each account take the biblical scriptures and stories of these figures and retells the stories. Although I usually like John MacArthur's work, this book was very dry for me. I've heard the bible stories since I was a child and it was very boring for me to go through the same old stories once again. The story of Jonah and the whale again? I also found the lesser known stories to be stretched with lots of material that wasn't directly relevant. Example: Enoch is barely mentioned in the bible. Perhaps 4 verses in the entire Bible. So how did MacArthur turn these 4 verses into a 20 page chapter? By going off topic and teaching on other things that do not directly relate to Enoch: like Noah, a long discussion of walking a life with God, forgiveness of sin, the substance of faith, fruit of righteousness, and preaching the truth. If you haven't heard these stories in a while, you might enjoy this book. But for those of us who grew up with them, we will probably be kind of bored with hearing the same stories again, stretched into 20 pages per story.

Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher for this unbiased review. I am not required to give positive reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment